Tuesday, January 12, 2010

chapter two: open up, it's the cops


first off, big ups to sparky's sweet rose hat. that absolutely made running in the rain epic. seeing that hot bag of treats waiting at the finish line makes you run a whole lot faster. that, and picturing you're being chased by the cops. not that i'm speaking from experience or anything, but i've always wanted to kick down a door. cops would probably be involved at that point, so that was the vision in my head this soggy evening.

marathon training you say? what's a girl like me doing in a run like that? good question, it sounded fun. i'm also not very good at declining invitations, or thinking about things before i open my mouth, so marathon training it will be (half that is) and what will be, will be. day one at the track. bright lights, a bit of rain, and puddles the size of a Yugo. it was like a bad scene from baywatch. interval runs: 1600m, 800m, 400m time trials.

let's just put it this way, i haven't been on a track since high school. i was a short track runner, so the idea of completing not one, not two, not three, but four laps scared the banana sandwich right out of me. props to all the EJ RUN groupies, you rock and totally kicked my tush. for this, i applaud you. so this is how it works, we start with 1600m, balancing out our time per lap so we're running an even paced mile. my average lap time was 1:50, a glacial pace, but i'm kind of into snow.

i nervously attempted to release my wedgie while walking up to spark for our finishing mile times. (a futile effort, as it turned out, when wearing pants so damn tight you make travolta's in saturday night fever look like ultrawides.) much to my surprise it was actually a personal best of mine, just over 8 mins. hollaback youngin', woo woo!

take a minute to catch your breath, darth vader. then back to work, 800m. up the speed and keep it consistent. i lowered my lap time here, so i guess i was doing something right. i think it was on my second lap on this one when i heard a little nugget playing soccer in the middle of the track say to his other buddy "hey dude, f* you". man, kids are badness these days. he didn't look a day over grade 3. i admit, i probably have something to do with the next generations verbal catastrophes (sorry mom, but i learn the best words from you), but that caught even me off guard. i have to admit i nearly pissed my hotpants at that point. best lap all night, hands down. finished 4:something.

took another quick breather, did a little mid run lecture, then it was off to the races for a last lap. 400m, steady steady steady, then blast it. 1:36 was my time, significantly decreasing my lap time. fun times. i have to admit, i was sweating like shaq at the foul line before we got going with the maratraining, but i feel like tonight was a success.

i'm also going to give myself a little slap on the ass here, well because it's my blog and i feel like it. every single time i rounded the last turn to the finish, i upped the stakes. i was playing for pink slips people. maybe it's the sprinter in me, maybe it was the cops, but i booked it each and every time. actually got referred to as a gazelle. at one point i even heard "i was all chillin' and stuff, and boom that chick comes flying past me, i was like what the hell." pretty cool.

before this, 6 pairs of kicks was my definition of twelve steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment