Thursday, January 14, 2010

chapter four: crouching tiger hidden charlie horse


there are times where i say to myself, what on earth have you gotten yourself into? 30 days, 40 days, 100 days, i'd do it. continually convincing myself that i, in fact, am a runner is a bit of a stretch. but i'm not ruling anything out. i had to tell myself today, knock off the hippy sh*t, strap on a helmet and give 'er.

let me just explain something here, it's not just raining today, i'm pretty sure there's been a tap turned on over the city. everyone looks a little pissed off, and a lot like drown rats. someone might ask me, excuse me miss gems i can't quite visualize, i think i need another example. how can i put this so you can understand the magnitude of the situation? niagara falls is currently being dumped on vancouver. sounds like a good night to run. absolutely spectacular conditions, makes me just jump for joy.

so what's the point? well, if you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball. i'm sure the same theory applies in the maratraining department. rain or shine baby. the name of the game is 20 minute negative splits. sounds like something you'd see at the brass rail. unfortunately, there wasn't over priced beer and day old appetizers being served at tonight's class. we had to run as far as we can at 85% for 20 minutes, turn around, and make it back to the start in less time than we started out. so if you make it to the EJ fire-hydrant in less than 40, you're the man!

i started off being all professional, dodging the puddles, hood up, cuffs over my hands. i was convinced it was only drizzling and i surely would return in a somewhat dry state. was i ever wrong. i think i took in more water tonight than if i were a sham-wow. maybe i could sew a few sham-wow's together and make a jacket... nevermind. off topic, which is a growing trend of tonight's adventures. it's amazing when all the slow songs come on your i-pod one after another, how much your mind tends to wander. here's an example of a few things that came to mind whilst in our swimming lessons:

1. maybe if i try and jump up onto the curb and pretend to fall into the water in front of these condos the homeowner (who is obviously a hot firefighter) would take me in and make me soup.
2. we've made in to the burrard street bridge, i could keep running right home.
3. why do they call charlie horses that? my calves are jacked up and we haven't even turned around yet. maybe i'll cab back.
4. my playlist sucks right now.
5. i'm so glad that it's raining, 40 minutes of running is so easy.
6. jump in every single puddle on the way back because splashing is fun, and you're soaked anyway.

this is just a brief introduction to the mysterious ways my little brain works. welcome to the jungle brother. but i will tell ya, running somewhat alone on a dark trail gets the hamster running upstairs. i was nearly convinced that i'd get jumped on the way back. i've always felt a certain kind of pressure to join an asian gang anyway. maybe this is the year. thankfully my martial arts have significantly improved since crouching tiger, hidden dragon. i passed a few people on the route back that looked at me, sort of like i was a crazy person jumping in puddles. wait... anyway, i gave them a peace sign. they gave me dirty looks.

so i made it, and did my signature move, gazelled for the last 100m. this is sort of a trade mark now, i think. i'm going to name it. from now on, please refer to it as the gembolt. proud of myself for gembolting after 40 mins of the front crawl. yep, it happened. finished in 39:10. allllllllright. it's a good thing we finished when we did, because any more splashing around and i may have ended up on "girls gone wild".

mopped ourselves into EJ, and peeled the layers that once were clothing off. everything was so wet i could barely keep ahold of my clothes and shoes, and was leaving puppy prints all over the floor with my wet socks. big al came to my rescue and gave me some socks. you sir are one in a million, love ya longtime. just a side note, my calves are jacked and i feel like i got sweep kicked. i'm currently lying in bed, and wish i knew a masseuse. i also wish there were dial-a-massage. maybe i'll start that.

i'd also like to mention that sparky looks phenomenal in tights. just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment